Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Side Dishes- Always Keep On Hand- Plato que Acompaña al Principal- Siempre Mantener en Mano

(Español Abajo)

Okay so this post is about the 3 healthy sides I like to keep on hand. Whether its as a side dish for breakfast, lunch or dinner these are the perfect 3 for me:

Side #1 Brown Rice  



Full of complex carbs and it just tastes super good! To read more about the awesomeness that is brown rice click here. How silly that they de-shell brown rice of its nutrient rich casing and then enrich it with artificial vitamins when the vitamins are in the casing it had......... Just buy a packet from the grocery shop and follow the directions on the bag. Rice is good next to chicken, fish, beans, and eggs.

Or you can try my momma's way of making rice that I loooooooove the taste of growing up. 


Rice A La Ma
Rice A La Ma

1 cup of brown rice
2 1/2 cups of water
2 tbs of olive oil
2 med tomatoes
2 garlic cloves
1/4 of an onion
1 (half if possible) cube of low sodium chicken bouillon


Directions:
Blend tomatoes, garlic, onion and 1/2 cup of water. After blending if it is too chunky add more water. In a skillet with a lid (mine doesn't have a lid so I do it in a pot) Add the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, toss in the rice and move it around until the rice is a darker brown color, but not burnt black. Once rice is toasted, add rest of water, tomato blend and chicken bouillon to the pot. Let the rice soak up the water, should take about 30-45 mins.

Side #2
Black Beans

Okay so if you didn't already know it, my parents came from Mexico so you know I love my beans! I'm more used to pinto beans, but my momma said to eat black beans, so here I am! Beans are perfect as a side dish for any type of meat dish, now that I think about it, I've never had beans and fish...... But I love it especially next to eggs and chicken! I won't lie, I am not a stranger to a lunch of a bowl of beans with cheese! It also taste delicious in a quesadilla! To see more of the benefits of beans click here.


The best thing is they are very easy to cook, and very had to mess up. Some how I have found ways to mess them up, but I think I have mastered this finally.




 Here's how my mom told me to cook them:

2 cups of Black Beans
water
1/4 of an onion
2 cloves of garlic
a pinch of salt

In a pot on medium heat add all ingredients to the pot and then use enuff water to cover the beans by 1 1/2 inches. After this, you pretty much just wait like 2 hours and stir them every half an hour or so and check on their tenderness. They are finished once they are soft enuff to chew. You might have to add more water, you will know when you check and it has all evaporated. Black beans are not like rice, you do not want to cook out all the water. So you will have some bean juice (LOL) left over, you can either toss it out and have your beans whole, or do what my mom always did and throw all the beans and juice in the blender. If you blend them it is easier to spread on tortillas............add cheese and spinach and you got a quesadilla!

Side #3
Whole Wheat Pasta or Brown Rice Pasta



Whole wheat or brown rice pasta has more fiber and nutrients than regular pasta. Even with that said, I try and limit my pasta intake to twice a week (because you know when you make it you always make TOO much..... so the second time is the day after) I don't really find that there is a taste difference between whole wheat/brown rice and regular pasta. The only diff is after I put the pasta in the boiling water the whole wheat/brown rice pasta tends to fall and fold into the water a lot faster, which is nice.






I enjoy my pasta with pesto with chicken or my homemade tomato sauce with turkey (for another post). 

Thank you for checking out this blog post! I am so happy eating better. I used to wake up with stomach aches and now I don't! I feel so much better with myself. I have not weighed myself but I keep having to keep my pants off after a couple of steps. I need to go clothes shopping, but I will be shopping at the thrift shop because my goal is to reach single digit pant sizes!! I am squeezing into size 10 right now!

Add me on Instagram: MRSDAISYCOLLINS





3 Platos Saludables Que Acompañan al Principal                  

So este post es de los 3 platos que acompañan al principal que siempre mantengo en mano. No importa si sea plato de desayuno, lonche o cena estas son 3 platos perfectos para mi:

#1 Arroz Integral                                                                    



Esta lleno de carbohidratos complejos y sabe super rico! Para leer mas de lo bueno que es el arroz integral haz click aqui. Que chistoso que le quitan la cascara al arroz y luego lo "enriqucen" con vitaminas artificiales, vitaminas que estan el la cascara que le quitan! Compra una bolsa de la tienda y sigue las direcciones en la bolsa. Es rico al lado de pollo, pescado, frijoles y huevos.

O puedes tratar la manera que lo hace mi mama, me a encantado de esta manera desde ñina.



Arroz A La Ma

1 copa de arroz integral
2 copas 1/2 de agua
2 cucharadas de aceite de olivo
2 tomates medianos
2 dientes de ajo
1/4 de una cebolla
1 (si es posible la mitad) de un cubo de sazon de pollo bajo en sodio

Direcciones:

Combinar tomates, ajo, cebolla y mitad de una copa de agua en la licuadora. Despues de licuar, si esta con demasiados trozos y muy espeso, hechele un poco mas de agua hasta que quede como liquido. En un sarten con tapa(mi sarten no tiene tapa so yo use una olla con tapa) hechale el aceite de olivo. Quando este caliente el aceite hechale el arroz y muevelo hasta que tenga color cafe. Estamos buscando un buen aroz bien tostado, pero no quemado. Si no lo mueves, se quema rapidamente. Quando este tostado el arroz, agrega el jugo de tomate liquado y el cubo de sazon de pollo. Deja que el arroz absorbe el liquido, deberia de terminar en 30-45 mins.

#2 Frijoles Negros                                                              



Okay, si no saben todavia, mis papas son de mexico, so ya sabes que yo amo los frijoles! Estava mas acostumbrada a comer frijoles pintos pero mi mama me dijo que los frijoles negros son mejors, so aqui estoy! Frijoles son un perfectos al lado de any tipo de carne, pero ahora que pienso en ello nunca e comido pescado con frijoles..... Pero no mentire, no soy extraña a comer un plato de frijoles con queso! Tambien saben deliciosos en una quesadilla! Para ver mas de los beneficios de los frijoles negros haga click aqui.

La mejor cosa es que son muy faciles de cocinar y muy dificiles de arruinar. Aun asi e encontrado como arruinarlos , pero creo que finalmente los e dominado.




Aqui es como me dijo mi mama que los cocinara:

Ingredientes

2 copas de frijoles negros
agua
1/4 de una cebolla
2 dientes de ajo
media cucharadilla de sal

En una olla sobre fuego medio, agrege todos los ingredientes y agua suficiente para cubrir los frijoles por 1 1/2 pulgadas. Despues de esto, no hay nada que hacer mas que esperar 2 horas y mezclarlo cada media hora para chequar su suavides. Cuando esten cocinados enteramente estaran suficientemente suave para morder. Talvez tengas que agregar mas agua, sabras cuando notes que toda la agua se a evaporado. Los frijoles no son como el arroz, no quieres que se le evaporize el agua. So despues de cocinarlos vaz a tener frijoles con jugo, puedes tirar el jugo si quieres y comerlos enteros. Mi mama siempre hechaba el jugo y los frijoles a la licuadora, es mas facil esparcir en una tortilla.........agregale queso y espinacas y tienes una quesadilla!

#3 Pasta de harina integral o arroz integral                             



Pasta de harina integral o de arroz integral tiene mas fibra y nutrientes que la pasta regular. Aun asi trato de solo comerla dos veces a la semana (por que la primera vez que siempre hago demasiado, so lo como al dia siguiente tambien) No encontre ninguna diferencia en sabor entre estas pastas y las de harina blanca. La unica diferiencia que yo note es que cuando pongo la pasta en la agua herviente no toma tanto tiempo para que seponga suave y se dobla rapidamente, lo qual es bueno.



Me gusta mi pasta con pesto con pollo o mi salsa de tomato hecho en casa con pavo (para otra entrada)

Gracias por chequear mi blog! Estoy tan feliz por que estoy comiendo mejor. Antes me despertaba con dolores de estomago y ahora no! Me siento mas feliz con mi misma. No me e pesado pero me tengo que detener los pantalones cada otro paso. Necesito ir a comprar ropa pero solo voy a las tiendas de cosas usadas por que mi meta es llegar a los pantalos de solo digito. Ahora estoy apretandome en medida 10!


Sigueme en Instagram: MRSDAISYCOLLINS



No comments:

Post a Comment